Wednesday, January 30, 2008

That's Not Exactly What I Meant...

I recently received an email from one of "our" authors, an Olympic gold medalist, the email had wished me a good start to the new year and went on to ask whether or not there will be a push in publicity with her book. Since her book is nearly two years old it would clearly be impossible to find anyone willing to interview her again! So, I reply back ever so kindly "great to hear from you! if you happen to have a new hook for your book I would be happy to pitch it."

Patiently waiting for a reply, days later she wrote me back "Excellent happy to hear you are willing to give it another push, I look forward to hearing all the ideas you have" ??????????????????? Hmmmm that's not what I meant exactly.

I understand that an author's book is their baby, they possibly spend months or years working, editing and meeting with publishers and experts in the industry to help them polish off their manuscript. And, when it comes time to promoting their "baby" a lot of time and energy is put into writing press releases, creating press kits, pitching the book to relevant media outlets, throwing launch parties and sending out galleys. After working on a book for a season followed by a reprint the next, it's time to lay the book on the shelves and leave it there for only consumers to pick up and hopefully buy. It's hard for most authors to understand that a book doesn't have a long lifespan when it comes to publicity...unless you're Tom Cruise or Dan Brown they can only talk about your book for so long. I know it comes out sounding harsh, but if you embrace the fact that everyday new and more enticing books are released then you will push yourself to keep on writing and producing books that will continuously give you and your writing exposure.

Send along any questions.


Ambition is my Perogative,

BookGirl

No comments: